Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fr. Frank Grappoli

Don't be fooled by the title to whoever is reading this. Just to let you know before i get started. Fr. Frank is not the guy who came up with words 'frank n beans', he did NOT create frankenstein n nooo he's not from frankfurt. Honestly i don't know where he's from but apperently he's Italian. Anyways.....
Fr. Frank is what everyone calls him, not that he's my dad or anything. Basically he's a priest. Why am i writing about a priest you ask? dont think i'm in love with him because i'm not. If you(whoever that is) is thinking dirty thoughts right now, i suggest you piss off.
Now where were we...oh yes...Fr.Frank, he has been a part of my life ever since i was born and since i was able to walk. This man means alot to me, he was the person that actually baptized me back in Rome,Italy. I guess ever since that day, he and my family started to become really good buddies. I dont really remember much about him when i was still in italy but he and my dad were close.
After a few years, it was time for the whole family to move back to Indonesia and start our new life. Fr.Frank usually come and visit us for the holidays and whenever he comes, he just makes the house look so welcoming and it was delightful to see that this old man can actually bring warmth into the house (believe me not alot of old men are able to do that).
Skipping a few years.....and years....and more years...
I was already in my teens, i think i was about 13 or 14 when my dad got a job in Germany and i decided to go with him and continue highschool there. I didnt expect alot of great things happening there. Basically my life wasnt all fun. But one day, a surprising visit really changed me on that one winter day, Fr.Frank heard we were all in Germany, so he decided to do us a little favour by coming to us. Isnt that nice? He stayed with us which made it enjoyable. He's always telling me stories about the days when i was a baby and i used to sit on his lap. I could tell he was surprised to see me all grown up and me telling him stories about my first kiss and my first boyfriend which i think shouldnt be told to any priest!
After that visit, for some reason, i lost contact with him which made me upset, because i miss all his story telling and the excitement on his face whenever he tells it. Trust me, i've known him forever, and i've never seen him get mad or get upset, he's always smiling.
Skipping more years..and another year.a few moreee...........
I ended up leaving Germany due to mental issues, went home to Indonesia for a few months, finished my senior year of highschool in New Zealand and ended up going to Limkokwing Uni in Malaysia.
Since i got back from Malaysia for my 3 months semester break, i kind of forgotten about Fr.Frank and decided maybe he's already forgotten about me and he was a part of my past and i cherished it.
But one hot sunny day in my dad's car, he was going and on about the days when i was little and ask me if i remember Fr.Frank, all of a sudden i get this flashback moment, naturally i said "yes i remember him". Then my dad said "well he asked for your email address and i gave it to him". I usually dont like it when my dad gives out my email to some random person who thinks they know me and all. But this time, i was actually happy and looking forward to reading one of his emails.
Days past by..i decided to check my mail and when i opened it, it was from Fr.Frank. The email was simple but it clearly shows me that he's still alive. It said...

"Dear Stefania,

I had a brief exchange with your Dad a few days ago and he gave me your e-mail address. Just let me know if you receive these lines and then we may communicate for real.
I send you my best.
Fr. Frank"

I was more than happy to write him back. I wrote him a very long email, telling him how happy i was to hear from him, telling him about my life on campus and what i've been up to, it was just one of those emails where you get really excited to write and you really can't stop writing.
I couldnt remember what i wrote but i remember was, i told him to write me back A.S.A.P.
After a few days, i got another email from him which said :

"Dear Stefania:

How do you describe yourself? ~BroWneYeDGIRL~ very good, Fania!
I was so pleased in hearing from you because I see that you have what it takes. Was it the Baptism I was privileged to administer to you in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome coupled with the royal treat the Indonesian Ambassador gave you immediately after it when he held you in his arms as he solemnly walked from the baptistry to the Chapel of Michelangelo's Pieta' and then on through the main isle to St. Peter's statue and to the front of the Papal Altar with Mom and Dad and all of us following in a lovely procession?
Well, that may all be true but never forget a moment that you cannot possibly recall ... when Mom and Dad arrived to Piazza Navona with a big basket and Stefania was peacefully reclining in it. We had our rendez-vous at the Piazza in that carnival atmosphere. It was abour noon time and they still had to eat so they asked me to hold the precious basket while they reached out to a stand for some food and drink. Wow, that was a memorable moment in the Eternal City!

Now you are in Jakarta with your family but in a short while you'll go back to Kuala Lumpur for your studies, right? Do you speak English or Malay there? Having been in Italy, in Russia and in Germany among other places you may have picked up a few languages in your moving around the world. I remember vividly also our days in Moscow and how Mom and Dad were so delightful in taking my to lovely places like the Bolshoy Theater and to the villa of Doctor Zhivago. Memories that will stay with me as long as I live ...

It was nice touching base with you again and I hope I'll get your news as you continue your journey. So, to use your expression, to the ~BroWneYeDGIRL~ all the best with blessings from heaven.

Fr. Frank"


Reading that just makes me weep. Not because it's sad. But because, after all these years, he still remembers all the things that we did and it was touching and heartfelt.
I wrote him back after that, but i still havent heard from him yet, but all i know is Fr.Frank has been living in America for quiet sometime now. He's still a priest, he's happy with it.

Thank you Fr.Frank for being such a wonderful part of my childhood.You have brought so much warmth into my family's life and shown me that you have not forgotten about me. If it werent for you, i wouldnt have anything to talk about or write about. My life wouldnt be as interesting. Now i can show off to my friends that i was baptized by an italian man. awesome hahaha!!

1 comments:

ANDRE said...

baptis itu apa ya?
kamu ngerti nggak?